11.4.2020: American Democracy To-Do List
- get rid of electoral college
- fix Senate
- four-year terms
- eliminate filibuster
- lay groundwork to eliminate it entirely (see below)
- eliminate gerrymandering – require that Congressional representation mirror popular vote
- eliminate superdelegates
- eliminate presidential veto and restrict executive orders
- make election day a national holiday
- all state and federal elections to be 100% publicly funded
- eliminate all
- fix Supreme Court
- explicitly limit de facto legislative powers of Supreme Court
- expand number of justices to reflect growth in population
- limit terms to ten years, subject to reappointment
- make voter suppression a federal crime punishable by no less than five years*
- new constitution
- abolish current system, replace with proportional parliament
That will get us started. Did I leave anything out?
*Preferably in the general population of a supermax.
The idea of the 6-year term for Senators is you have one third up for election every two years. Would you have half every two years, or the whole body up every four?
I don’t know that I would end veto, but I would certainly be in favor of restricting executive orders.
Instead of getting rid of electoral college, how about each state splitting them instead of winner-take-all?
I absolutely agree we need more than two parties. People have to stop thinking that a 3rd party vote is a wasted vote.