American mobility: all the places I’ve lived – 2011 update
If you’ve been around awhile, then yes, you have seen this item before, a couple of times. It originally posted on Jan. 25, 2008 and was updated on April 19, 2010. Unfortunately, I tend to move a lot, and it’s about to happen again. So every time I pull up the tent and head off somewhere else, I’ll be refreshing the post and giving people a chance to offer their thoughts on their own mobility and that of their families, friends and neighbors.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, it’s back to packing.
We’ve become a very mobile culture. Education, jobs, adventure, marriage – there are a lot of things that call us away from home in ways that were unprecedented even a generation ago.
I’m like a lot of people in that I’ve moved around a lot, especially in the past few years. For instance, this coming Saturday will mark my 15th move since fall of 1993. Three or four times I was in a place for a couple years or more, so that means there have also been times when I moved more than once a year, with all the stress that comes with it. (And this doesn’t even account for the times I moved back into the family home through the years – summers during college, for instance; I had multiple tours at 3870 Eastview Dr.)
Move 15, mercifully, isn’t a full-on pack-up-your-whole-life deal – I’m just relocating from Uptown Denver out to the Highlands neighborhood in the northwest part of the city. But still, packing is packing, hating every goddamned second of it is hating every goddamned second of it and moving is moving. So I thought I’d share my pain.
Here’s the list of all the places I’ve lived in my life (that I can remember):
- 4945 Reid Rd., Winston-Salem NC
- Thomasville Rd., WSNC (near current I-40 interchange)
- 3870 Eastview Dr., WSNC
- 4th Floor Taylor, Wake Forest University, WSNC
- 1st Floor Davis, Wake Forest University, WSNC
- 3rd Floor Theta Chi House, Wake Forest University, WSNC
- 2nd Floor Theta Chi House, Wake Forest University, WSNC
- Apartment, Polo Rd. at Rosedale Circle, WSNC
- Apartment, Fairlawn Dr., WSNC
- Euclid and Endsley, WSNC
- Springhouse Apartments, University Pkwy.,WSNC
- Van Hoy Ave., WSNC
- S. Washington St., Ames IA
- High Ave., Ames IA
- 715 Watson Ave., WSNC
- Apartment, Colorado and Foothills, Boulder CO
- Darley Ave., Boulder CO
- Apartment, S. Washington St., Denver CO
- Apartment, 11th and Pearl St., Denver CO
- Apartment, Lowry, Denver CO
- Apartment, Corona St., Denver CO
- Harbor Point Apartments, Dorchester MA
- Apartment, 10th and Sherman, Denver CO
- Townhouse (1st home owned), Jersey St., Denver CO
- Four Mile Rd., Allegany NY
- Brantley St., WSNC
- 7660 Dyer Rd., Louisville CO
- Broadlands, Broomfield CO
- Uptown Square, 19th and Penn, Denver CO
- Apartment, 38th and Tennyson, Denver CO
So, how about you? I’m guessing you’ve moved about a bit as well, huh?
Is this typical? What does all this mobility mean, I wonder….