Honoring the men who made Memorial Day possible
Today is Memorial Day, the annual holiday where we pay tribute to those who gave their lives in service to their country.
As always, not enough attention is focused on the men who made those ultimate sacrifices possible. for example:
- William Randolph Hearst and Joseph Pulitzer, whose baldfaced lies propaganda brand of yellow journalism sucked the US into the Spanish-American War.
- “Give ‘Em Hell” Harry Truman, who decided that the best way to contain China and/or the Soviets was to get involved in Korea.
- John F. Kennedy, who reviewed the American experience in Korea and concluded that it worked so well we should take the same show on the road to Vietnam.
- Lyndon Johnson, who inherited Kennedy’s unsuited deuce/seven and saw an opportunity to go all-in.
- Bush the First, who realized te importance of protecting democracy in Kuwait.
- Bush the Second and his minions Rumsfeld, Powell and Cheney, who cocked up whatever “evidence” was necessary to get our brave young future Memorial Day honorees into Iraq where they could put an end to all those WMDs and snuff out al Qaeda, which was in Pakistan, which is in Iraq.
Happy Memorial Day. Wave that flag with pride.