Zombie Apocalypse: Food & Drink Week shambles on with another Doc Sammy rum punch
Looking for something appropriate for your next Walking Dead watch party? Here’s a cocktail that will turn you into a zombie, too.
Hopefully you’re already planning on a pitcher of my South Shore Kauai Tais for the weekend. If you like tropical drinks, here’s another one for your recipe book: Doc Sammy’s Zombie Apocalypse.
- 1 oz lime juice
- 1 oz lemon juice
- 1 oz pineapple juice
- 2 oz passion fruit nectar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ½ oz grenadine
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 1 oz gold rum (again, I love Montego Bay, but won’t talk you out of whatever your favorite is)
- 1 oz 151 proof Demerara (El Dorado) rum
- 1 oz light rum (everybody loves Bacardi, I know, but I’d recommend something a little tastier, like Cruzan Light Aged, Mount Gay Eclipse or Flor de Caña 4 Year Extra Dry)
- ½ oz Creme de Cassis (yes, I do use this as an accent flavor quite a bit – why do you ask?)
Mix all ingredients except the 151 in a shaker and shake well. Pour over cracked or shaved ice. Use a bar spoon to layer the 151 on top.
Also, you can experiment with a couple of variants.
- Substitute El Dorado Superior Dark Rum for the gold.
Try this if you like richer, heavier flavors.
- As with the basic recipe, only this time mix in the 151 with the other ingredients and then layer a shot of El Dorado Superior Dark Rum on top.
This is only recommended for those of you who really like the flavor of rum. Also, it isn’t recommended for the lightweight.
Garnish with fruit and umbrella. Enjoy while soaking up the sunshine.