What are your three favorite Elton John songs?
This is one of the hardest music questions I’ve ever been asked.
A few weeks ago my girlfriend asked me this one. And I thought – what a hateful question. Seriously – three? With some effort I might be able to get it down to ten or fifteen.
But it was a music question. So I thought. And pondered. And listened and relistened.
I may finally have an answer.
Number 1 is:
- Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
And numbers 2 and 3 are, I think:
- Tiny Dancer
- Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me
Although don’t hold me to it. My mind is prone to sudden changes. And I can’t stress enough just how close these are:
- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
- Rocket Man
- Bitter Fingers
- Tower of Babel
- Teacher I Need You
- Texan Love Song
And there are several others on the “strong maybe/honorable mention” list.
- Your Song
- Someone Saved My Life Tonight
- Captain Fantastic
- Island Girl
- Bennie and the Jets
- I Feel Like a Bullet in the Gun of Robert Ford
- Philadelphia Freedom
- Candle in the Wind (original, not the Princess Die wankfest)
- I’m Still Standing
- Little Jeannie
- Madman Across the Water
- Take Me to the Pilot
- I’ve Seen That Movie Too
- We All Fall in Love Sometimes
- Grow Some Funk of Your Own
Your turn. What are your three favorite Elton John tunes?